March 8, 2020

Meditation: the complete emptying

Meditation is the complete emptying of all burden, of all this huge content of things the person needs to have to “be someone,” of the accumulation of everything you have already read, heard, studied and lived, of everything is in the memory of this mechanism, in the own brain cells, which makes you say “I am so-and-so,” “I am Carlos,” “I am José,” “I am Maria,”“I am Pedro,” “I am Marcos.” Something you never detach from. Meditation is the sweeping of all this, the emptying of all this content! It reaches that "me" and goes beyond it.
Meditation is not a ten-day practice or a two-hour daily practice in the morning and at night. Real Meditation finds this space of investigation of the illusory nature of this “I am so-and-so.” It has to find this space completely free from this “I am so-and-so,” “I am a soccer fan,” “I am politics fan,” “I am…” So, self-investigation is present when the space is entirely free. Self-investigation is not to follow a speech like this one and believe that you are investigating this, for this is only one more speech.
After listening to many speeches like that, reading many books about the subject, you can even make a pretty speech, if you are a good orator. You can know this technically, in a perfect way, managing this with an extraordinary precision, but listening to speeches about this is not self-investigation.
Self-investigation is observation. The observation of the movement of “I am so-and-so;” and that is not for ten days or for a weekend, or for two hours in the morning and at night. It is present every moment! It is the way you listen to the sound around you, whatever it is. It can be the song of birds in the nature (something that mind loves) or the scream of a sexist, mandatory, oppressor husband, screaming in the woman's ear, or a woman screaming in the husband's ear. Meditation is to hear this and not fleeing! Knowing how to hear this, being before what is unpleasant without internalizing it, without mistaking yourself for “someone” present in this experience, feeling hurt, sorrowed, sad, angry and afraid. This is Meditation! While listening, seeing, sitting down, and walking, at lunch time, going to the bathroom, moment to moment… This is to bring attention to That which is prior even to the feeling “I am.”
Thus, it is possible the Realization of the Ultimate Reality, of this Truth that does not have name, shape, color, taste, smell, which was never born and, therefore, does not know the day of birth or birthday party. You cannot keep attaching yourself to “this side.” Do you know what I am talking about? At the side where all you know is apparition.
There will be the interruption of this on a day called “day of death,” but there is no reason to be afraid. Of course, there is no way to know the Unknown. Meditation is the Unknown, and you will not know It. Meditation is the Presence without shape, without a name, without color, without flavor. When Meditation is present, there is not the known, there is not this “I am so-and-so”, “I am José.”
You must be willing to abandon the story of the character: husband, son, mother, father, and it means a complete break with the known. I repeat: it is not to know what the Unknown is, for you will never know what It is! You will never know the Unknown! This Realization is the absence of this one who realizes. Real Knowing is the absence of the “knower.” Real Experience is the absence of the “experiencer.” Life is the Unknown. The expression so well known in India “Jnana,” we translate it as “Knowledge,” which is this pure Knowing without the “knower.” So, Meditation is to come close to this “I.” Now, if you bring it closer to your living, to your day-to-day life, you say, “I am Carlos;” Cut this “Carlos”, cut this name with its story, then there is “I am.” Cut the feeling of “am” now, here, and then the "I" remains. What is this "I"? This "I" disappears ... Here you are! That is it!
Either you are with this or you are stuck to your problems. Here each one has a drama. Ask the neighbor next door that he/she is going to say that he/she has. In some level, he/she has. Either you remain stuck to this drama or you work on it. Ego is going to be resented. It is going to say, “You are not being careful, you are not giving due attention to this.” That is because the ego wants to fix things. You have to perceive this in you. I know, because I experienced this in the past, I saw this too. There was a time when there were also dramas here, which were the same as these ones you have today. You believe the dramas are yours and keep trying to fix them, but that cannot be fixed, because this is karmic, it is destiny, it is already traced. The only thing you can and need to do is to disidentify from this thing. Do you understand? That is it! What is the difference from Osho, Ramana or Krishnamurti to you? None! They just stopped caring about the story around them. They cared about for so long that one day they realized they had no way of being stuck in it, because it was ridiculous! In a few minutes speech, I am summarizing it for you here, directly. That is exactly what I meant all the time with these so cute words, and they are useless too. The only right thing you are doing now is to be here, and there is nothing else you can do but listen to this.
*Presential meeting transcription, originally held in Ramanashram Gualberto in Campos de Jordão city-SP-Brazil; on March, 2019. - First published in Portuguese on December 12th, 2019. For more information about how to participate, please access: :http://mestregualberto.com/agenda/agenda-satsang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share!