September 17, 2021

The ordinary human state is not natural

The question people ask each other is "how are you, is everything right?" Why do people ask each other this kind of question? Everyone knows why this is asked: you never know how that person, who was feeling so well yesterday, is going to be today; or that person who was feeling so well ten minutes ago, will be now after ten minutes have passed. Why does it happen? Because what we call as "human consciousness" is changing states of emotions, feelings and thoughts. That is how the human being lives. This has been our ordinary experience.

But I want to question this. This is essentially human from the common viewpoint, but it is not essentially human from the Real viewpoint. All we know is how to be an ordinary human being, but we know nothing about how to be a Natural human being. So, from the ordinary viewpoint, we ask, "What's up? How are you?" But you do not need to ask it, just look at the person's face to see that already: the person is angry, stressed, annoyed, sad... at best, since the person may be even worse! Isn't it like this?

Is it also like that for you? Don't you know someone like that? Within your ordinary circle of friends, aren't people like that? So, this is the ordinary human state, not the Natural State. The Natural human State is non-dual, of full Consciousness. It is a State free of the "me."

Participant: Master, are "me" and the fear the same thing?

Not only "me" and the fear are the same thing, but also "me" and the conflict, "me" and suffering, "me" and desire, "me" and unconsciousness are the same. Basically, what is this "me"? What do you take for "me" when you talk about yourself? Notice that this "me" is sadness sometimes; at other times, euphoria, regret, conflict, fear... We never separate this "me" from this emotional, sentimental experience, nor this thought experience.

So, when we ask, "How are you?", what we are asking is "what state are you in right now?" It is like saying, "Are you angry? Are you sad? Are you upset with me? With the world? With yourself?" We just say politely, "What's up? How are you?", but what we mean is, "what kind of 'me' do you have now to show me?" "What is the 'me' that is present at the moment?" Isn't it?

If you have a girlfriend or boyfriend or live in a closer relationship with someone, you know very well what I am saying. One hour this person smiles and swears love. Ten minutes later, the person is pinching you full of imaginary thoughts about cheating, about being cheated on, or about the possibility of being cheated on. Then jealousy assumes that body, those pretty eyes, that sweet little face, and now the person looks like the devil itself, possessed by jealousy. Isn't it?

So, which "me" am "I" dealing with right now? In a relationship with another person, you find strange how much the person changes, but you do not realize how much you change, because you also have several "I's" – one time it is the "me-conflict," another time it is the "me-anger," the "me-fear," the "me-desire," the "me-…," and so on. There is the "me-love" and the "me-hate" – the "I" who loves and the "I" who hates. You are never just one! This is easy to see. It is difficult to observe this in yourself, but in others, it is very easy. It is complicated to see it in yourself. It is easy to see the others are crazy or that they are on the verge of madness. So, what are we dealing with in Satsang? We are dealing with the human Natural State, not with the ordinary state of humanity. We investigate the ordinary state of humanity, but we do not point it out as a real goal of life, of existence. We are pointing out non-duality. Do you know what non-duality means? It means "not two"; "me-love" and "me-hate"; "me-joy" and "me-sadness" – this is duality! "Me and others," "me and the world," "me and suffering," "me and desire," and so on – this is duality!

We are talking about non-duality, this sense of Reality outside the mind, which is like a sense of connection to Life. So, this illusion of being a witness disappears. The illusion of being "someone" in a relationship with the world disappears – this is non-duality! In non-duality, you do not see the world – the world and you disappear. You do not see a mountain, there is no "you" and there is no mountain, or there is only the mountain, but there is no "you." There is no "you and the world." The world is present, however without the sense of a separate "me," and when there is no such separation, there is no fear, there is no "me-fear." When there is no such separation, there is no "me" and envy, since there is no object of desire. There is no "me and the control." So, there is no "me and jealousy," once there is no fear of losing, no fear of not dominating, not controlling, which is what upholds envy, jealousy, all these internal mental conflicting, unhappy and complicated states under this duality.

Are you with me? Can you see this in yourself or just in the world around you, in others? Is the other person like that? Don't you see it within yourself? This sense of duality, this sense of separation, this desire to get away, to punish, to take revenge? This desire to protect yourself or not to suffer? This is suffering, this is conflict. Not willing to suffer means already suffering. There is great conflict in this desire to escape suffering. Notice it is always the "I" with this model, it is the "I" carrying this model. Without the sense of "me," there is only the mountain, there is no "me and the mountain." Without the sense of "me," there is neither the friend nor the enemy on the other side. There is not the one who "I" like and the one who "I" do not like. Do you see that? Do you see that linking people is the same as to disliking them? The problem is present there.

The root cause of every human suffering lies in the ignorance of this straightforward Truth – the Truth that there are not two. There is only this Consciousness everywhere! Some sages called that as Consciousness, God. It is the unique Reality, the unique Truth present in every manifestation, in the whole existence, everywhere! There is only God! There is no "you and Him."

*Online meeting transcription originally held on January 13th, 2021. First published in Portuguese on February 10th, 2021. For further information about our meetings, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share!