December 14, 2021

Guilt is just one more thought

Participant: Master, I'm 27 years old, and until I was 17 I attended church. There's a deep belief of search, but I feel guilty, I don't know... a feeling that I'm hurting my family since they're all protestant. I'm afraid they'll know about my search. The internal work has been helping me since it alleviates this guilt.

Marcos Gualberto: We are easily influenced by what others think, say, believe… In a short time, we also start believing that. It's so fast, how we are induced to believe in others and how easy it is for us to believe them! We not only believe what we imagine but also in what people are imagining about themselves, about us, about others, about the world. And it's just thoughts.

I'm not telling you that it's simple to put an end to this pattern of believing and trusting in thoughts. Since the world began, all you have are thoughts. The mind has this strong movement. It takes you into the past and the future. The mind does this all the time!

There is no Consciousness, no Presence. You are not aware of this moment here, now. You're not aware of what it's like to be free from thoughts. There's this whole model, this fast-paced mechanism of thoughts being produced all the time in your head.

You spend the whole day with thoughts in your head and guilt is also just another thought. When you believe you can do good or cause harm, there is always the illusory idea of "someone" present thinking, feeling, doing, talking, feeling sad or happy. Someone successful or not. Someone with or without responsibility.

They're constant thoughts, and this is quite heavy. It's too heavy to internally believe what others believe about who you are, about what you feel. But that's how it is. It's a psychological conditioning. Breaking with that means breaking that self-image. People are just images, and you are an image to yourself.

How many good people are there in this room? And how many bad people? Are you a good person or a bad person? A person who does everything right or everything wrong? Do you see what I mean? That's an idea you have about who you are, and you protect that. Guilt is to protect that image. Fear is to protect that image. This is the psychological condition of human beings.

Participant: Master, I sometimes feel very intense anxiety. There are times when I get distressed! I don't know if it's due to something I'm doing wrong… It seems like an exaggerated body reaction. I don't know how to deal with it.

Marcos Gualberto: It's always the mind producing it. I don't know if it helps you, but it's very important you learn to trust me. If you observe closely, you always trust yourself and people.

When I came across my Master, I learned to trust His eyes, to trust what He felt… Either I would trust my thoughts, or I would start looking more at Him. Either I would continue to trust what people said to me and what they made me feel, or I would look at Him and trust Him.

He wasn't telling me this. Deep down, it wasn't Him causing this, so I don't know if this helps you. In some meetings, I have spoken about the importance of trusting the Guru. Either you trust the Guru, or you trust what thoughts say, what people say, what the world says. Either you trust this "internal thing" that makes you prone to the Divine Presence in the Guru's form, or you keep believing what thought says inside your head or through people's mouths.

Trusting in Grace, trusting in the Guru... this is an important thing. When that's broken, you're lost. So, since you always trust thoughts, and that means trusting people, I'd like you to start listening to what I'm saying and trust that a little bit.

What people say, what you think, what you feel are just thoughts. All of this is just this false "me" having feelings, this false entity having experiences.

Remain steadfast! May your eyes not stray from your purpose. Remember: your purpose is to Realize the Truth. If that's your purpose, you won't let anything hold you back. Nothing will take you down.

*Online meeting transcription originally held on February 24th, 2021. First published in Portuguese on April 23rd, 2021. For further information about our meetings, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share!