July 26, 2023

Life free of the ego | Conscious Union with God, Joel Goldsmith | Psychological suffering | Advaita

Is it possible to end suffering? Everyone would love to have a life without suffering. It is indeed paradoxical, because this is not true. It is not true because the sense of being someone implies “someone” present to live those experiences. In this search for experiences, he will always seek some form of fulfillment, of satisfaction, of achievement in some kind of pleasure. What we do not realize is that this search for fulfillment, for satisfaction in pleasure is actually the search for suffering. So, it seems that we all want to be free from suffering and in fact our movement is towards suffering.

So here we are facing something simple, but at the same time quite – paradoxically – difficult, because to remain free from suffering is simply Being. Our psychological conditioning, this sense of “I” that we have in us – and we are carrying it since childhood, this is a thing of culture, of personal identity, present within all experiences – is what drives us to “become,” to achieve, to accomplish something. So, Being is to remain free from suffering and this “seeking to be,” to become “someone” is to go towards this search for pleasure in this or that form of fulfillment or for some level of achievement.

So, let’s make it clear for you, very simply: the Truth about your Being is Happiness here and now. But it is very strange what I am going to tell you: you are this Truth here and now, this is the Nature of your Being, yet we are not living in this Nature of Being what we really are. We are assuming a being that we believe to be, that we feel that it should be, unsatisfied we are still looking to be greater, to be different from what we believe to be, so there is always this movement of “becoming someone.” Since we were children, we have heard the phrase: “What do you want to be when you grow up?” No one ever showed us that it was enough to Be. In this Being there is Completeness, there is Love, there is Peace, there is Happiness; in this Being there is nothing to be accomplished, to be achieved, to be done, because this Being is the Divine Nature, the Nature of the Singularity of the Non-I. This coming to be, this “being someone,” this “seeking to be,” this “wanting to be” is the search for being “someone.” Are we together in this?

Our sense of egoic identity comes from this formulation. In this sense of “I,” this illusion of “being that I believe myself to be,” that “I” wish to be, we are slaves to this verb, to the verb “to be.” We always refer to ourselves as someone, someone who was, someone who is, and someone who will be – “I was that yesterday, I am that today, but tomorrow I will be ’someone’ different from what I am today, ’someone’ different from who I was yesterday.” This idea of “being someone” is the search for “becoming someone.” This is the model learned within our culture, within our world, within our society, because we have the illusion that security will come when I will become “someone,” because I was born to be “someone.” “I feel insecure, exactly, because I feel like a nothing, a nobody, until I am somebody,” this is all within the imaginary of thought.

When we look at the world, we are always seeing people going somewhere, going towards some goal, some purpose, some achievement, and all this with the intention of finding security in that purpose, in that goal or achievement. They call that security as happiness, peace. They project a sense of peace and seek that peace. They project happiness and go after it. For them, it will be found when they get there, when they achieve this “being” they desire to become.

Here I want to work with you on ending this illusion of “being who I believe I am,” here and now. It is when we free ourselves from this verb “to be,” from the illusion of “I was, I am, and I will be.” Realize that what we are pointing out here, is the real cause of suffering. So, this search for peace and happiness is, in fact, still fomenting this condition of suffering that we are living in this illusion of being, in this idea of becoming or ceasing to be.

What is Spiritual Enlightenment? What is Spiritual Awakening? It is the end of this prison, the prison of this verb “to be.” That is the end of this illusion of “I am, I was, and I will be” to the realization of the Beauty, the Singularity, the Reality of simply Being what you Are. This is the discarding of the ego, because it is this ego, this “I,” this “me,” that is in the idea of “I am, I was, and I will be.” All the suffering of the human being consists in this “I.” This “I” is the one that sustains fear and desire and therefore the illusion that there is no security or the illusion of the search for security. All of this lies within this “I.” It lives in fear, anxiety, depression, anguish, boredom, the feeling of loneliness, existential emptiness, and the various forms of fear, fears that are present in us.

Notice this subject of fear, for example: we are afraid of everything. Our psychological state of “being someone,” of seeing ourselves as “someone,” is always feeling insecure or always creating the illusion of possible security for ourselves, that is fear. And that fear takes many forms in us. The human being is afraid of the boss, he is afraid of the wife, he is afraid of the husband, he is afraid of the children, he is afraid of the employees, he is afraid of his past, which, in fact, is only the fear of something that he – this “me,” this “I” – has screwed up and is afraid that someone will find out, which is actually only an image, a memory, a remembrance. He wants to protect this self-image so it will not be discovered. So, there is this fear in human beings. The fear of being exposed for something they did, that someone might discover about it or it might become public, so there is fear of the past, there is fear of the future, there is fear in relationships. There’s the fear of getting sick, there’s the fear of getting old, there’s the fear of losing what you have, of not getting what you want, there're various forms of fears in us, in that “me,” in that “I,” in the sense of egoic identity.

This ego is that which is stuck in time, in this time “I am, I was, and I will be,” this time that I have called psychological time. The psychological time has its origin in thought, because it is thought that idealizes the future. It is an idea of the future, and this is in thought. It is thought that also idealizes or imagines the past. This past that can appear, this past that has been lived, all this is in the image that the “I” creates, that it has about itself in a time that thought itself is building. It is an image, this “I,” this image moving, it is this imagination, this is psychological time, it is the time of the “I.” The Truth of your Being is outside of time, of this psychological time, of this “I am, I was, and I will be,” That is the Truth about your Being, that is the Truth of Happiness, that is the Truth of Peace.

Notice that it is when you are free from thoughts that you are free from the past, the present, and the future. When there is no thought – we have some brief moments when we feel completely and totally free from thoughts, when you are, for example, in nature, in a contact with the forest, with plants, or in a very big garden and there, in the middle of the plants, looking at the plants, appreciating the flowers, appreciating what is there in that garden, when your attention is not on that sense of “person,” of identity of that “I,” with the various occupations that this “I” has with the office, work, family, business, and the various problems, when you are alone there in that garden in contact with the flowers, the eyes contemplating the flowers, the ears listening to some birds singing, the smell of the earth, in that instant there is a silence, an absence of thought, there is an inner state of stillness. At this moment, there is no such “I” with its past, with the illusion of its present and with the illusion of its future; in this instant, there is no idea of “I am, I was, and I will be,” there is no idea of “achieving happiness,” “achieving “peace,” or “getting rid of something.” It is when thought is not there that there is no such time, in this instant there is a freedom of this “I,” of the psychological time because thought is not there. Notice that it is the presence of thought in you that places you in this time, that places you in this “I am, I was, and I will be,” places you in this “becoming,” in this “becoming something,” and in this instant, when thought is not there, there is simply Being. There is no history there, there is no name there, there is no past there, there is no present there, there is no future of that “I” there, because thought is not there; neither is there this idea of happiness, of peace, because all these are projections of the ego. It is the sense of the ego in you, it is the presence of this “I,” the absence of this Freedom. It is the presence of this ego, of this “me,” the presence of suffering.

Here I am inviting you to a life free from suffering, and this life is possible when the sense of “I” is absent. In this instant there is only Being. This is the Nature of Consciousness, of Real Consciousness, not this consciousness that is in time, this consciousness that is the “I,” this consciousness that is thought, this consciousness of past, present, and future. Our work here is for the Awakening of your Real Consciousness – what someone calls Spiritual Enlightenment – the blossoming of your Divine Nature, the Truth of Non-Separation, Non-Duality – this is called Advaita, it is straight from Advaita Vedanta. The word Advaita means “the one without the second,” it is the Reality that there is only this Presence, and this Presence is Being, for this you were born.

Look at the people around you, they are stressed, anguished, unhappy, scared, frightened, in a constant search of a security idealized by thought, and the more they move, the more insecure, unhappy and frightened they feel, because there is no Love in their lives, there is no Freedom in their lives, there is no Happiness. So, the human being lives in suffering because he lives in that sense of ego, in that sense of “I.” A life free of the ego is a life attended, assisted, accompanied, cared by Life itself, there is no “I,” it is only Life taking care of Itself, attending to Itself, that is a life free of the ego.

In all the history of mankind many men and women have realized What we are talking about here with you. We are dealing with you about Something possible for your life, a state free of the ego and therefore a state free, completely free of psychological suffering. If you assume the Truth for which you were born, if you assume this Reality, which is the Truth of your Being, here and now, there is no more problem in your life, because it is no longer this “my,” this “your” life, it is this Reality of Life as It Is in its Grace, in its Beauty. This is that State of Oneness, of Non-Separation, some call it “Conscious Communion with God,” I have called it the Natural State, the state free of the “I.” The “Conscious Union with God,” in the expression of Joel Goldsmith, it is how he calls this Natural State or it seems to me that this is how he particularizes this Natural State. It is interesting that it is said here that we are quoting this expression, but we have to be careful, because the idea of union means two presences, God and I, and that is not real. So, here, I put this expression quoting Joel Goldsmith, but see it, this statement I am using in a way, maybe, a little bit different, “Conscious Union with God” is the Presence of the Reality of this Consciousness in God, in Himself, by Himself, here and now, without the sense of a present “I.” That is the vision of Non-I, No-Separation, that is Advaita, that is the contact with the Reality that you are here and now, that is your Being. So, you were born to Be, just Be; not to be “someone,” but to Be, to live as Being-Consciousness-Bliss. This is the Nature of God, this is the Nature and the Truth about that “Conscious Union with God,” this is the Truth about life, this is the Truth about Spiritual Enlightenment. Okay?

That’s the subject we're discussing with you here, within the channel. Is this something that makes sense to you? If it makes sense to you, leave your “like” and subscribe to the channel. I want to remind you: we have online meetings, face-to-face meetings, and also retreats, where we are working on this with those who approach us. If this touches you in any way, we have our WhatsApp group there, you enter our group and learn about the meetings, we have online and also face-to-face meetings. Okay?

We'll see you. Thanks for the meeting and see you next time!

July, 2023
Gravatá-PE, Brazil
Further information

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share!